In this article I am going to share how I became a successful calisthenics athlete and the lessons you can learn from it to help you be one.
Three years ago, I was an average skinny guy with a long list of questions about calisthenics, I used to look at great athletes on YouTube performing amazing feats with their own bodyweight. I used to ask myself various questions such as:
- How are they training?
- Why they get such results from their workouts, while normal people following those routines didn’t look anything like them!
- Do they have good genetics which I am lacking or they have some other secrets?
And many other such questions. The answers didn’t come easily and I was quite confused.
“To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often” Winston Churchill.
Then I decided to change some of my questions and my view point, and suddenly I found that the answers were always in front of me and I didn’t see them!!!
I realized you must look beyond the obvious. In this case the workouts, training routines and exercises was very obvious. The thing that wasn’t obvious and was lurking behind the shadows was the cultivation of great habits by all these athletes which wasn’t discussed on the videos.
I found that secret to success is changing all your bad habits and health destroying activities with good habits and health promoting activities.
I stopped wasting my time and energy over non productive activities like watching too much TV, indulging in fruitless entertainment activities, staying up late, drinking too much, useless parting etc.
I started imitating the lifestyle of the pro calisthenics athletes and slowly changed all my bad habits with good habits like daily exercise, healthy diet, getting proper sleep and rest, never skipping workouts etc.
In short I stopped finding reasons why others were more successful than me and started looking for solutions to achieve what they had done and to build a physique that I will be proud of.
So what I learned from all this was that hard work along with a good lifestyle over the years is the actual key to success in calisthenics. You will get no results by following Mr. X’s training advice nor by following Mr. Y’s workout routines in short time. You will get results when you stick to progressive training and stay consistent for a long time.
To sum up,
If your goal is mastery in calisthenics and achieving a Greek God physique then you must follow the following rules:
- Do simple compound movements. All the pro’s practice their basics faithfully and consistently;
- Your results depend on your overall lifestyle more than your workout routine;
- Progression is the name of the game;
- You will have to find ways to overcome the obstacles that are or will come into your path;
- Always remember that small daily steps are better than irregular heavy training. Whenever you are free try to squeeze in a little workout. It will all add up in the end and you will be surprised with the results.
Last but not the least, don’t get trapped in the quagmire of shortcuts to an excellent physique. Consistency is the key and you can’t speed up your buddy’s natural potential without side effects. Make calisthenics a habit and it will reward you generously.
“If there is no struggle, there is no progress” Frederick Douglass.
Adorian Moldovan and Winner Nehra
(Work hard and smart, never give up, your dream physique is coming, don’t stop, go and get it)